BORSCHT WITH GREENS
4 cups of organic vegetable stock
1 ½ cup diced beets (about 1-2 medium-sized beets, peeled)
1 ½ cups diced potato (1 big yellow fleshed potato)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 ½ -2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 big onion)
2 cloves garlic – pressed with a garlic press
1-2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
3 cups chopped red cabbage
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar – or more
1 ½ cup blended tomato – deseeded and blended – about 2-3 large tomatoes
1 tablespoon honey
Finely chopped beet greens from the beet!
1 handful of spinach
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh dill – or more!
Black pepper to taste
Fresh tomatoes, diced
Additional fresh dill
1. Place diced potatoes and beets in a medium saucepan over high heat, cover with stock, and boil until vegetables are tender. Remove potatoes and beets with a slotted spoon, and reserve stock.
2. Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, caraway seeds, and salt. Cook until onions become soft and translucent. Then stir in celery, carrots, and cabbage. Add to reserved stock and cook, covered, until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Deseed and blend two-three large tomatoes to make 1 ½ cups blended.
4. Add potatoes and beets and season with black pepper and dill weed. Stir in cider vinegar and blended tomato. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer at least 30 minutes.
5. Rinse the beet greens really well then finely chop. Add the honey, beet greens, and spinach at the very end to wilt. Serve topped with extra dill weed, or chopped fresh tomatoes. Taste and add more apple cider vinegar, salt, or dill to taste! If you want it a bit thicker run a hand held blender through it to thicken it a little.