MARINARA WITH ZUCCHINI NOODLES
5 small-medium zucchinis (or two large ones)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium white onion chopped
2 ½ teaspoons pressed garlic (approx. 5 cloves of garlic)
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ cup capers (drained)
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 medium vine ripened tomatoes diced
4 large basil leaves chopped
1. Peel zucchinis with a vegetable peeler. I use the dark green outsides but if you want the noodles to appear all one color save this part and add to the marinara sauce by chopping it into smaller pieces.When you get to the center where the seeds and flesh of the zucchini begin, stop peeling and set these parts aside for later use. I like to chop these insides into small pieces and add to the sauce when I add the onions.
2. Soak peeled zucchini noodles in ½ teaspoon of salt and lemon juice for 30 minutes.
3. Rinse well before use.
1. Put olive oil into pan and heat for 1 minute on low to medium heat.
2. Add onions and stir, allow onions to cook for 3-4 minutes
3. Add garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
4. Once garlic has been in for a minute add capers and pepper.
5. Add tomatoes and add to pan allow to cook at a low heat until they appear to need more water, about 10 or so longer.
6. Add a tablespoon of water and stir. It may take some a few more minutes for the tomato to cook down at this low temperature.
7. Once the tomatoes are cooked, and the mixture looks like a chunky tomato sauce, reduce heat and add fresh basil.
8. Blend contents of pan in a blender for a smooth sauce, or leave as is.
9. Rinse and squeeze the noodles dry with a paper towel, add to pan at a low heat and toss with sauce.